Melinda Moores: Why do you have so many scars? Who hurt you so badly?
梅林达:为什么你有流这么多伤疤?谁这么狠心伤害你?
John Coffey: Don't hardly remember, ma'am.
约翰:几乎想不起来了,夫人。
Paul Edgecomb: My wife made it to thank you.
保罗:我妻子做了这个感凶谢你
John Coffey: For what, boss?
约翰:因为什么,头?
Paul Edgecomb: You know.
保罗:你知道。
John Coffey: Oh, was she pleased?
约翰:哦,她高兴吗?
Paul Edgecomb: Yeah. Several times.
保罗:是的,很多次。
Paul Edgecomb: What do you want me to do John? I'll do it. You want me to let you walk out of here and see how far you get?
保罗:约翰你想让我做什么我都会做。你想让我放你离开这里,看看你能走到多远吗?
John Coffey: Now why would you want to do a foolish thing like that?
约翰:为什么你会想做那么愚蠢的事?
Paul Edgecomb: When I die and I stand before God awaiting judgment andhe asks me why I let one of HIS miracles die, what am I gonna say, thatit was my job?
保罗:当我死了,我站在上帝面前等候审判,他问我为什么让他的奇迹死去,我该说什么,那是我的工作?
John Coffey: You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I knowyou hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughta quit onit now. Because I want it over and done. I do. I'm tired, boss. Tiredof bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of notever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from orgoing to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other.I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday.There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all thetime. Can you understand?
约翰:你告诉上帝是出于善意。我知道你伤心焦虑,我可以感觉到,但你现在必须停止。因为我希望结束。真的,我累了。厌倦在路上,像雨中孤独的麻雀。厌倦没有伙伴陪伴,或者告诉我何去何从,或者为什么。我厌倦了人们丑陋的彼此相待,厌倦了每天感到和听到的伤痛。太多了。它一直就像我脑袋里的玻璃碴。你能理解吗?
Paul Edgecomb: Yes, John. I think I can.
保罗:是的,约翰,我想我能。